Tuesday, October 24, 2006
THAT, Ms. Morrisette, is IRONY.
My husband is adopted. He goes through spurts of actively searching for his birth mother, followed by periods of swimming through the chaos which makes up our daily lives. Last year, he got information about his birth mother's name and the college she attended, so he sent a letter to the Alumni Association of the school, asking them to forward it on.

Then we heard nothing, and forgot all about it.

Tonight he got an email from her. Not confirming or denying, just replying to the initial letter (which was deliberately vague to protect her privacy).

Where's the irony?

Right here: Today is my mother-in-law's birthday.

Yes.

He got an email from his birth mother on his adoptive mother's birthday. In fact, received the email while on the phone with my mother-in-law.

Pardon me while my eyes spin in opposite directions.