Tuesday, February 22, 2005
Breastfeeding is SEXY.
Remember how there was a period of time in the '80s when overalls were super-cool? And then it became even cooler to wear the overalls but to leave the front flap down with the straps hanging like big loops down below your hips? And how funny it would be to be out at a bar or similar and see a woman go into the bathroom and come out with one of the loops dripping wet from having accidentally dunked it in the toilet? (Funny but in a "Hey, why don't you stay right over THERE" sort of way.)

Well, I'm starting to get that way with my nursing bras - I just get too lazy and tired sometimes to hook 'em back up. Not an issue around the house, but today I'm wearing a button-down shirt and a sports bra under it, and I forgot to snap back up before we went to Pizza Hut for lunch. Very nearly gave some junior high boys the thrill of their life when I took my coat off, lemme tell ya. (It's winter break week, so Pizza Hut was packed to the gills with prepubescent boys, a truly fabulous spot. Definitely not the place to try some discreet nursing in public... so glad Jacob's big enough to go more than 26 seconds between feedings now.)
And while we're on that topic, they have an all-you-can-eat lunch buffet at Pizza Hut here. Well, I'm a nursing mom, I'm perpetually hungry anyway - wanna know how MUCH pizza I can eat in an hour? Especially when seated directly next to the buffet? Ye gods, I'm surprised I didn't need a wheelbarrow to get me out of there.

I went directly from lunch to my annual physical. One of the questions was, "Are you eating healthy?" PFBLLGHTT. And the irony is, over the past week I really have done a great job of cutting down on my cowlike grazing and frantic weasel-in-a-doughnut-shop binges and have been more physically active, and I think I HAD started to lose weight - but one miserable little 27-pound lunch buffet... I swear I heard the scale whimper as I approached, and I KNOW it snickered when I stepped off and insisted on setting it back to zero lest I cause heart palpitations or uncontrollable mirth to whoever uses it next.

Sigh.

I'm back home now... we just got around to buying Jacob a bigger convertible carseat - it's been over a month since I could drive him safely in my car, we still have the bucket but would have to remove one or both of his fat little legs in order to fit him into it, and I just didn't want to do that to him! So that's in the car... not installed yet, but progress in small steps is better than none at all, right? (I'm using the same philosophy on getting my house clean... at this rate, I figure I'm on target to have it spotless about 6 months after we move out.) And the box is in the living room, where Emily has been playing in it for two hours so far. Why do we buy our children anything but cardboard???

I also got Jacob one of those Baby Safe Feeders - we go out to eat at least once a week, and I always want to offer him bites of our stuff but I don't want to go insane mincing it and watching him like a hawk through every second of the meal, so I thought it was worth a try. We gave it a test run at home - turns out he LOVES it, but it is a truly, truly messy experience, unique even in a house with a 4-year-old and a 6-month-old in the sheer amount of mess it can create. Not because of the mess radius, but because of the finely, evenly spread texture of the mess. Every available surface of the high chair and my son are completely coated in banana. For a while he was using it like a stamp - leading me to an image of him as the world's smallest little Bingo player.

I'm off to run some errands with the kids... hope my bra stays snapped up and no more all-you-can-eat buffets suck me in while we're out.