Thursday, April 21, 2005
Hooray! I'm going to prison!
Yes, really! I'll be working as an unpaid and overworked psychology intern one or two days a week starting in the summer. Very flexible - I can do however many (or few) hours I want, whatever days I want. Which is as it should be, since they'll be getting a doctoral-level psychologist for FREE. I'm excited about it, it lets me keep my foot in the door, so to speak (biiig, heavy doors, too!) while still taking the year off and not sending the kids to daycare with total strangers right away after we move - I'll work around Willem's school schedule.

And if I ever do snap and end up dismembering my mother-in-law and scattering her around the neighborhood, at least I'll already be familiar with the layout at the prison! Granted, I'll be spending most of my time at the men's facility, but I'll make sure to stop in at the women's side before her next visit. And if things get desperate, well, I'd imagine there's no shortage of available men there... (hmm... maybe I'll hook her up. What fun!!)

So, Jacob is still nowhere near crawling yet. I guess that's not entirely true - he gets on all fours and rocks, and when sitting he can bend completely over and reeeeeeeach in any given direction - for someone who's only a couple feet tall, it astounds me that his arms are at least 3 feet long, each. But as far as mobility, his preferred method is to sit up and scooch around on his bottom. Normally, this is fine - I'm in no hurry for him to get mobile, since we're moving in 2 months and I really don't want to babyproof twice. Tonight, he was doing his scooching thing on the hardwood floor, and he stopped, gained his special, unique prayerful attitude that only accompanies one particular bodily function, and made a rather large deposit.

No big deal, right? Right. Except his actually blew out his diaper - hadn't done that in a while (duct tape and staples make all the difference) - and I didn't realize this, so I finished what I was doing before getting him. In that 5 minutes, he continued to scooch and grin away... and left a particularly unpleasant snail trail in his wake. Blech, blech, blech. At least he didn't notice that he'd done it - otherwise I guarantee we would have had a rather disturbing incident of finger painting and hors d'oeuvres.

Is that really how you spell "scooch"? Looks weird to me, but all the other versions I've tried look even weirder. Skooch? schooch? zkutcz?

Anyway... I'm going to go sit on my couch and revel in the ridiculous amount of clutter that has already accumulated in the 4 days since we've sold the house. Truly amazing what a family of four can accomplish when we put our minds to it.