Sunday, September 03, 2006
Doesn't Take Much
I'm all proud of myself and revved and chipper right now. Despite having had a nasty (albeit shortlived) spat with my husband, and having to buy new clothes in a larger size than I want to admit that I need, and having a raging headache for the past two days which none of the drugs I have access to can touch... I'm still happy.

Why?

Because two high school girls who live nearby came to the house this afternoon, after I asked them to, to meet Willem and the kids. They are both bright-eyed and just so cute I almost burst into giggles because of mere proximity, but they maintained good eye contact and carried on intelligent conversation and seemed to really like my kids, so I officially have not just one but two babysitters lined up for the Wednesday nights on which I get a hospital call and Willem is teaching his class.

(Notice that I did not include my kids' liking them in the list of criteria. This is because my children have apparently not developed that fear of strangers which one might think would be Darwinistically ingrained in small cute creatures, and so as long as you are not actively bleeding from the eyes or screaming at the top of your lungs, my kids will like you and talk to you about random personal household details regardless of whether Mom WANTS you to know them. It's just wonderful.)

So, that was lovely and happiness-inducing all by itself.

But wait, there's more! In my advetures in blog-hopping this week, I landed on Christina's Shoebox, which I enjoyed reading for its own sake, but I was also particularly taken by her drop-down menus in her sidebar, as opposed to the endlessly long lists in my sidebar. So since I had the time and inclination, I Viewed her Page Source (which sounds just vaguely dirty) and figured out that I should go to a site called flooble.com and after an hour or so I figured out how to make several of my very own drop-down menus, and even made them match my blog's colors. Not an amazing feat, I know, but it's been 10 years since I took any sort of html course and most of my computer knowledge has subsequently been beaten out of me by the technophobia so rampant in the mental health field, so it was amazing for me.

So, while it hasn't been a noteworthy day in terms of personal events, I'm just aglow.