Wednesday, March 07, 2007
My Social Conscience is Warring with my Taste Buds
I'm going to feel really guilty in a few more weeks.

Because my favorite, seriously favorite, even more than Cadbury Cream Eggs, touch-yourself-good, Easter treat are the Snickers Easter Eggs (which I can't find online - a shame, truly, though on second thought, anything that helps prevent me from licking my monitor is probably a good thing). I don't know what about them is different from Snickers bars, but Oh. My. God.

And now, given the recent state of affairs in Snickers' advertising department, I'm going to feel guilty, because I really really like those eggs and I really really hate the Snickers commercials.

Observe.

First, there was the infamous Homophobia Superbowl Ad.



Which didn't tickle my fancy, but whatever. Everyone has a lapse in judgment. I could see why people found it funny, and I could see why lots more people found it offensive, and no big deal. I don't buy candy bars much during the year, so it wasn't going to be a life-changing event in any way.

But then there came this one. Let's call it the Gratuitous Violence Toward People of Different Colors Ad.



There is just so much wrong here, most of which is encapsulated within my title for the ad. But also... sorry, maybe I'm just dense, but how, exactly, does this make me more prone to biting into a chocolate/caramel/peanuts/nougat concoction?

No, seriously, don't just nod along. HOW?

Argh. You know I'll have to buy the Snickers eggs, because in a battle between my morals and my gluttony the outcome is foreordained. But the experience will be tainted.