Tuesday, May 01, 2007
Why I Eyes Ya
My eyes hurt today. I went yesterday and got new glasses, and in a fit of overenthusiasm decided to get a totally different style than I've ever had before. I have made some Poor Eyewear Decisions in my life, believe you me... I've worn glasses that were so unattractive, so unbecoming, so Golden Girls, that if I had digital copies of the photos I would post them just for the sheer amusement of it all. Really.

So, over the past ten years or so, I went very conservative and minimalist in the realm of spectacles. Thin metal frames, rounded-but-not-circular lenses, not especially noticeable. To others, or to me.

I decided, this time, that it was time to try something new and, for me, bold. So I got a pair of dark-framed, rectangularish frames - seriously, words cannot adequately express how completely un-me they are. They seem to suit me; so far no one has stopped, done a double-take, and said, "For the love of God, what happened to your face?" and I'm taking that as a good sign.

But the thing is, I'm not used to having glasses that I can see while I wear them. I find myself constantly aware of the frames drawing big dark lines around everything. I suppose, once it stops hurting my poor eyes to constantly check out this weird thing in my field of vision, it will be a bit like watching television all the time. I can't decide if that will be fun or horrifying. Think of the commercials.



Title is in reference to this video which has become a new and oft-repeated family joke. I sort of suspect that Willem and I find it funnier than the kids do.