Friday, February 17, 2006
I'd like you to meet my son, Taco.
Jacob was a late talker. Which was very weird to me, because Emily was an early, and persistent, talker - first words at 4 months, complete sentences before a year, correcting others on their grammar by 18 months. But Jacob, not so much. He had no spoken words (15-20 signs) by a year, and only a handful at 15 months. Always just barely enough communication to convince the pediatrician that we didn't need a speech referral.

So, 3 months ago, maybe 5 words. Now - complete sentences. Bang. It's pretty wild, I never quite know what's going to come out next. He's not real hung up on silly things like context and sentence structure - "Mimi where go?" - but he gets his point across.

The only hindrance to his ability to be understood by one and all is that he's also not especially concerned with the niceties of pronunciation. So "kitty" is "key," "please" is "pweeeeee," and "Jacob" is "Taco."

I think it's too cute to correct him on it. I'm sure Emily will correct him as soon as possible.