Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Nap, Interrupted
I know there are lots of moms out there who don't like to wake a sleeping baby. I don't share this sentiment. I LOVE to wake both of my kids. I look for excuses - because I'm all for maintaining some semblance of schedule and consistency, but if I can justify it, I literally bound into the room of a sleeping child. Quietly and gently - no reason to scar them for life, at least not right then - but bounding nonetheless.

Partly, I'll admit, it's because it's just karma. You wake me three times a night for two years, now it's MY turn, so there. How do ya like them apples?

But more, it's just such unmitigated sweetness. There's that brief moment of time, in between asleep and awake, when they're moving enough to snuggle in and they're still warm and smell sweet and have the sleep-warm pink cheeks that I just cannot kiss enough, but they're not conscious enough to require anything more than simple snuggling. No requests for food, TV or toys, no chattering or babbling or muttering. Just snuggles.



[Edited to add: I just put a bunch of flood pictures on my photos site for those who are interested...