Saturday, May 13, 2006
Really?
I just read an article in People magazine about exercise bulimia - where women monitor what they eat and then instead of purging, they over-exercise to get rid of it.

I'm very familiar with the disorder in an onlooker sense - I "treated" a woman for it a few years ago. With visual quotes, as annoying as they are, because I'm very skeptical that anyone else can treat it. Lots of addictions - heroin, alcohol, sex - you can treat by cutting them out of your life entirely. But eating? Not exactly an abstinence program available there.

But how horrible is this??? As I was reading the article, my initial reaction was a mild jealousy that they could create such an intense, disciplined attitude toward exercise. Am I not already unhealthy enough without adding a new obsession in? Bah.