Monday, November 06, 2006
The Sanctity of the Three-Day Rule has been Violated
And let me tell you, I am rocked to my very core.

The way it works is, if there are leftovers from a home-cooked meal here, they're open game. Anyone can have them, anytime, whatever. But if there are leftovers from takeout or a dinner out, be it Friendly's or Au Jourd'Hui, then the ordered and partial-eater has dibs on those leftovers for three days. If by some odd quirk of nature the leftovers are still around after three days, and are still edible, then they become open territory. The only exception to this is if the orderer has verbally and deliberately relinquished leftover-rights.

This has been long understood in our house, after a few heart-rending and difficult moments early on.

So you can imagine my shock and chagrin, then, when I came out this morning prepared to have the second half of yesterday's coffee cake muffin from Dunkin Donuts, and found... nothing. All gone. Not even the bag was still here.

And a suspicious silence from my husband makes me wonder whether he is avoiding me due to guilt or whether he was forced at knifepoint to abduct the muffin against his will on behalf of terrorists. Neither of which will absolve him of the Three Day Rule transgression, of course.