Friday, January 13, 2006
Mushy face and fake smile
Didja ever have one of those days where you're getting dressed and you realize that your outfit and your insides just don't match? Like you're putting on sweats when you're in a sequins-and-feathers kind of mood, or you're wearing jeans when a short skirt and high heels would be a better match for the mood?

(I know, I should take my cues from Willem and just wear the sequins-and-feathers whenever the mood strikes. Ha ha...)

That happened to me this morning. I was dressed in my nice, black, interview suit, looking all professional - even did my hair and makeup! - and if I were going for internal/external consistency, I would have worn sweats and an old t-shirt and mismatched socks. Which, actually, I changed into as soon as I got home.

I had another internship interview. I'm now up to three sites I'll be able to choose from, none of which is great but there's some saying about beggars and choosers...

Anyway, so I was dressed up for that. But I woke up with the sort of sinus revolt which resulted in spontaneous and unsniffable escapes. Wildly professional. Drugs helped, but I still felt all mushy and miserable - like if you had placed a heavy rock on top of my head, it would have simply sunk in until my forehead was level with my shoulders. Blech. (Though not AS blechy as the prison bugs. Phew.)

The interview was fine. In the sense that I did not set any fires or relieve myself in the corner or bite the interviewer on the ankle. I'm sure it's a very nice place, but the job would be doing stuff I am very, very not interested in - so I did smile, but it was a fake smile.

That's okay, I'm a mom, I've learned how to fake smile by now.