Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Who needs sleep?
I do.

Jacob was up *6* times between 8:00 and 3:00 last night. He woke up with a head cold, but that somehow doesn't make it all okay with me. At 3:00 I gave in and brought him to bed with me, because not only was he awake he was SCREAMING each time. We all slept from 3-5. Then he was up and ready to play, I was comatose, and Willem spent the next 45 minutes bitching and grumbling and bitching some more, until I finally got up, had a brief snark exchange with Willem - "If it's bothering you, GET UP AND SOLVE THE PROBLEM" - "But YOU brought him into bed." Bite me. Got Jacob back down from 6-7. But I'm exhausted and pissy. I shouted at Jacob so loud this morning, my throat is raw. I'm not proud. But apparently 12 hours of intermittent whining and snottiness is my limit. He got a 10-minute crib-visit while I cooled off, and now we're all friends again, except that I am still holding a grudge.

He's asleep now. Here's hoping it lasts long enough for me to get some decent sleep, too. I know my own sleep habits well enough to be certain that if I went to bed now, at 8:00, I would wake up at 4:00 in the morning and spend the next 3 hours in this weird daze, not awake but not asleep, and I hate that. So I'll keep myself awake a little longer, stay up too late, not get enough sleep tonight, and then at least be able to blame tomorrow's tiredness entirely on myself.

Bah. It's good to have a plan.

I just keep reminding myself, it's the average of the week that is important, not the individual moments and days.